Preschool Wonders Preschool Wonders Facebook Bloglovin Instagram Pinterest About Me My Classroom My Store Freebies Image Map





Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Colorful Week {And a Freebie}!

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and 'Five for Friday' to showcase our week.
We started off the week reading "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?" Then, we went on a hunt to find the animals from the story.  Each little learner searched the room until they found a card.  To encourage language skills, they had to tell us the name of the color, the animal, and where it was found in the room, plus they had to do it in a complete sentence.  Afterward, everyone had to find the picture on their recording sheet and color it in.   
Another one of our 'Brown Bear' activities was with this story comprehension activity.
I was super proud with how well everyone did.
Each little love also painted an animal in the story to make our own class book.  Any class book we make seems to get a lot of read time.  I love the fact that my sweeties take ownership in their work.
'Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes' was another one of our books this week. 
To help with colors, this emergent reader came in handy.  The little learners first matched colors, then colored the shoes the same color.
We then used 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down' to answer questions about the story.
We read 'The Day the Crayons Quit' and then answered questions about the story on our teamboard. You can get this freebie HERE.  

It's a PowerPoint presentation that can be used on an interactive whiteboard. 

We then wrote a story about being a crayon.  One concerned student said he couldn't write.  A short mini-lesson was conducted about different types of 'writing'.  After he finished and read his story, he proudly proclaimed he was an 'author'!  Boy, oh boy, did that make my heart sing.  :)
Speaking of crayons, each little one decorated their own color by adding a face.  
They were displayed in our circle time area.
 This super cute crayon pattern is from Cara Carroll.  You can find here freebie HERE.
Something new I am trying this year is to incorporate nursery rhymes once a week instead of a specific theme.  We started with 'Itsy Bitsy Spider'.  The little loves made this craftivity to go along with the rhyme.  By the end of the year, we will have a completed nursery rhyme book to take home.  You can find patterns for the book HERE.
I hope you had a fabulous week.  Link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to let us know!
Thanks for reading!  Have a great day.  :)

4 comments:

  1. What a great week you have had - I love all the art Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great activities going on in your colorful classroom! Thanks for sharing all the fun!
    Would you be willing to share your permission/release form that you use for putting pics of students on your blog? I am searching for some good examples to use for one of my own. If not, I understand. Thanks!
    Katie
    Mrs. Byrd's Learning Tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great activities this week! That Pete the Cat book and The Day the Crayons Quit are a few of my favorites!

    Ashley
    One Step Closer Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used your freebie for 'The Day the Crayons Quit' last year with my kindergarteners and we loved it! Such as great product! And that crayons display is too cute, I love it!
    Kayla
    The Chalkboard Garden

    ReplyDelete